1500 Saskatoon Square
410 22nd Street East
Saskatoon SK S7K 5T6
Ryan Lepage represents clients involved in commercial disputes and has experience with complex class actions, insurance, regulatory and resource-related litigation.
- Canadian National Railway v. McKercher LLP et al., SCC Appeal no. 34545 (Judgment reserved on January 24, 2013), counsel for Canadian National Railway before the Supreme Court of Canada on an appeal dealing with the scope of a lawyer’s duty of loyalty and whether it is a conflict of interest for a lawyer to sue a current client on behalf of another client.
- Jackson v. Canadian National Railway, 2012 ABQB 652, successfully representing the defendant railways in the dismissal of an application for certification of a class action seeking hundreds of millions of dollars as a result of the alleged overcharging for carriage of grain in western Canada and the granting of an application for summary judgment in favour of the defendant railways.
- Represented Mosaic Potash (Esterhazy) Ltd. in a significant action involving potash reserves and mining practices in motions and appeals, including a leading appellate decision on interlocutory injunctive relief in Saskatchewan (Mosaic Potash Esterhazy Limited Partnership v. Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc., 2011 SKCA 120).
- Fission Energy Corporation, successfully resisting an application under The Crown Minerals Act challenging significant mineral claims granted in Northern Saskatchewan.
- Schofield v. City of Saskatoon, QB No. 1074 of 2011, representing the City of Saskatoon in successfully resisting an attempt to certify a class action relating to a dispute over contributions to and benefits from a pension plan spanning a 42 year period.
- Saskatchewan Law Review – Editor (2009-2010)
Awards & Distinctions
- Law Society of Saskatchewan Award of Distinction for Top Bar Admission Course Performance (2011)
- Best Overall Advocate Award – Sopinka Cup National Trial Competition 2010
- Best Cross-Examination / Best Examination in Chief – Sopinka Cup National Trial Competition 2010
- University of Saskatchewan Undergraduate Scholarship (2009)
Saskatchewan Bar (2011)
J.D. with Distinction (Saskatchewan, 2010)
B.Comm. with Distinction (Saskatchewan, 2008)
- Tuesday Feb 26th 2013 MLT Argues Important Case on Lawyer's Duty of Loyalty at Supreme Court of Canada