1500 Hill Center I
1874 Scarth Street
Regina SK S4P 4E9
Robert Leurer, Q.C.
Bob Leurer is one of Canada's most experienced class action lawyers. He has acted on complex commercial, product liability, agricultural, insurance and pharmaceutical claims. Acting primarily for defendants, many of them large, publicly-traded corporations, Bob has argued leading cases before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada and Courts in a number of provinces, including Alberta and Saskatchewan. He is regularly asked to speak at national and regional class actions conferences.
Bob was lead counsel on a trial that saw the largest settlement ever awarded by a jury in Saskatchewan. It was also one of the largest in Canadian judicial history.
Bob was the 1984 Gold Medalist at the College of Law, University of Saskatchewan, and clerked to the Honourable Mr. Justice W.Z. Estey of the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Jackson v. Canadian National Railway, 2012 ABQB 652, successfully representing the defendant railways in the dismissal of an application for certification of a class action seeking hundreds of millions of dollars as a result of the alleged overcharging for carriage of grain in western Canada and the granting of an application for summary judgment in favour of the defendant railways.
- Ongoing representation of defendants in numerous on-going class actions, including in areas of securities law, pharmaceutical products and other product liability, sales tax and others.
- Representation of defendants in numerous class action settlements.
- Brooks et al. v. Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, 2007 SKQB 247. Representing the defendant in an action denying certification of a proposed class action seeking damages arising from a train derailment.
- Hoffman et al. v. Monsanto Canada Inc. and Bayer CropScience Inc., 2007 SKCA 47. Successfully opposing certification of a class action arising from the introduction of genetically modified canola.
R.L.T.V. Investments Inc. v. Saskatchewan Telecommunications, 2009 SKCA 83, leave to appeal refused (S.C.C. March 11, 2010). Obtained summary judgment dismissing derivative action in complex commercial case.
Cargill v. Makarenko, 2009 SKQB 235. Successfully enjoining the use of misappropriated corporate information.
- Frey et al. v. BCE Inc. et al., 2011 SKCA 136, aff'g 2009 SKQB 165, 2007 SKQB 328, an ongoing class action against various wireless service providers in connection with "system access fees" charged by the providers.
- Collins v. BCE Inc. et al., 2010 SKQB 74. Obtaining a stay of a proposed class action as an abuse of process of the court.
- Drover et al. v. BCE Inc. et. al., 2012 BCSC 50, dismissal of application by plaintiff to renew this proposed class action, resulting in its dismissal against the defendant.
- Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club – Director (since 2011)
- Luther College (Regina) Board of Regents – Member (since 2011)
- Wascana Country Club – Former President (2009); Director (2005-2009)
- Canadian Bar Association (Saskatchewan Branch) – President (2003-2004)
Papers & Presentations
- "More than Meets the Eye: Update on Class Actions in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba", Osgoode Hall Law School 9th Annual Symposium on Class Actions (April, 2012).
- "Class Action 'Whack-a-Mole': Dealing with Multi-Jurisdictional Class Actions in Canada", Osgoode Hall Law School 8th Annual Symposium on Class Actions (April, 2011).
- "Developments in Class Actions: Saskatchewan (and Manitoba), 2009-2010", 11th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (Canadian Institute, Toronto, September, 2010).
- "Class Actions – What are the Options? ADR Solutions to Class Actions", Panel Participant, ADR Institute (Calgary, September, 2010).
- "Cautiously Anxious: Seven Years of Class Actions Litigation in Saskatchewan", Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Branch (2010).
- Class Actions in Saskatchewan: 8 Years Later, British Columbia Legal Education Society (2009).
- "Developments in Class Actions: Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, 2008-2009" – 10th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (The Canadian Institute, Toronto, 2009).
- "Class Actions in Saskatchewan, 2008-2009" – 6th Annual Osgoode Hall Law School Symposium on Class Actions (2009).
- "Class Actions in Canada, A Weather Report" – Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (2008).
- "The Year in Review, Saskatchewan Class Actions 2007-2008" – 9th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (Canadian Institute, Toronto, 2008).
- "Narrowing the Case: Pre-Certification Strategies for Plaintiff and Defence Counsel" – Panel Moderator, 9th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (Canadian Institute, Toronto, 2008).
- "Class Actions in Saskatchewan, 2007-2008" – 5th Annual Osgoode Hall Law School Symposium on Class Actions (2008).
- "Developments in the Law of Class Actions in Saskatchewan, 2006-2007" – 8th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (Canadian Institute, Toronto, 2007).
- "Update on Class Proceedings in Saskatchewan" – 7th Annual National Forum on Litigating Class Actions in Canada (Canadian Institute, Toronto, 2006).
Awards & Distinctions
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Ranked by Chambers Global as one of the Top 25 Class Actions Lawyers in Canada (2012)
- One of Benchmark Canada's "Canada Litigation Stars" – Class Actions
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Class Action Litigation; Corporate and Commercial Litigation; Insurance Law (since 2006)
- Named one of Canada's Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Commercial Insurance Litigation; Corporate Commercial Litigation; Professional Liability (since 2003)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – "BV Peer Review Rated"
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (2003)
Saskatchewan Bar (1986)
LL.B. with Great Distinction (Saskatchewan, 1984)
- Wednesday Apr 17th 2013 Benchmark Canada Guide Rates MLT and Lawyers Among Saskatchewan's Leaders