10235 101st Street
Edmonton AB T5J 3G1
L. Neil Gower, Q.C.
Neil Gower’s practice focuses on corporate law, commercial real estate, secured transactions, business acquisitions and sales. He has lengthy and high-level experience for a significant real estate investment trust, multi-company groups and business owner/operators, associations, and professionals. Neil has assisted with credit and security arrangements in excess of one billion dollars to finance a major Canadian retailer, and others of like magnitude for a national agri-business corporation as well as acting for a major Canadian real estate lender. Neil's experience with not-for-profits at a senior level as both lawyer and board member helps him understand client needs in this area. He acts for a large number of companies and associations in a general counsel ("Trusted Advisor") role.
- Counsel to a REIT on a $70 million acquisition of a significant real estate portfolio in Iqaluit, Nunavut including hotels, leased property, rental properties, development lands, apartments and office buildings. The transaction involved refinancing, leases, land consolidations, fire reconstruction and insurance matters.
- Counsel to a REIT on a $160 million sale of six seniors' lodge properties in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Counsel for an active Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Lead counsel in numerous multi-million dollar business acquisitions and divestitures.
- Local counsel on national transactions.
- Significant clients in lending, agriculture, business, manufacturing, professional, consulting and other service industries.
- Extensive practice in corporate law includes acting for numerous non-profit agencies, entities and regulatory bodies.
- CTD Housing Solutions Ltd. (providing creative housing solutions to people of modest means) – Vice-President
- Capital Region Housing Corporation – Chair, Director and Member of the Executive Committee (City of Edmonton Appointee since 2006)
- Capital Region Housing Foundation – President (2011-2012)
- Edmonton Social Enterprise Fund – Advisory Member
- Inuvialuit Arbitration Board – Member (since 2008)
- Edmonton Community Foundation – Secretary to the Board (2006-2012); Member of Governance and Endowment Committees
- Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education, Bar Admission Program – Instructor and Course Designer (since 1990's)
- Canterbury Foundation – Former President and longtime board member
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law and Law Office Management Sub-sections – Former Chair
- Theatre Network – Former President
Papers & Presentations
- Neil has presented to numerous groups, including the Legal Education Society of Alberta, the Banff Refresher Course, the Bar admission program (CPLED), Consulting Engineers of Alberta, and the Certified Management Accountants of Alberta.
Awards & Distinctions
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law (since 2011)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – "BV Peer Review Rated"
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (1998)
- L'escarbot Award for Support to the Arts – Government of Canada (1991)
Northwest Territories Bar (1975, 2000)
Alberta Bar (1974)
LL.B. (Alberta, 1973)
B.A. (Alberta, 1972)
- Tuesday May 14th 2013 MLT Presents Wills Issues for Business Owners Breakfast to Full House