1500 Saskatoon Square
410 22nd Street East
Saskatoon SK S7K 5T6
Jeff Lee, Q.C.
Jeff Lee represents corporate debtors, lenders and court officers in restructuring and insolvency proceedings across Western Canada. His experience includes assignments in the manufacturing, energy, aviation, real estate, agribusiness, hospitality, transportation, telecommunications, fish processing, construction, forest products, mining and pulp and paper industries. Jeff has appeared before superior courts in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and New Brunswick, and before the Federal Court, Tax Court and Supreme Court of Canada.
- Counsel to an Alberta technology company in CCAA restructuring.
- Counsel to landlord of publicly traded energy company in CCAA proceedings in Alberta. (2009)
- Counsel to secured lender in obtaining court appointment of receiver of construction company in Yukon Territory. (2009)
- Counsel to group of real estate companies in CCAA restructuring in Saskatchewan. (2006)
- Counsel to aviation company in CCAA proceedings in Manitoba. (2005)
- Counsel to secured lender in obtaining court appointment of receiver of construction company in Yukon Territory (2009).
- Counsel to Big Sky Farms in successful CCAA restructuring of approximately $100 million in secured and unsecured debt in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Iowa (2010).
- Counsel to secured creditor in New Brunswick CCAA proceedings by international mineral drilling companies operating in Canada, Mexico, Mongolia and Russia.
- Counsel to secured creditor in CCAA restructuring of one of Canada's three largest commercial hog production companies, a Manitoba company with 41 facilities and an aggregate debt of $111 million. (2012)
- Rebuilding Success, The Journal of the Canadian Institute of Insolvency Practitioners – Editorial Board Member
- Saskatchewan Jazz Festival Inc. – Director (1999-2006)
- Community Radio Society of Saskatoon, Inc. – Former President
Papers & Presentations
- "Rooted in Equity: The Jurisdiction of Canadian Courts to Allocate Restructuring and Realization Costs in Insolvency Proceedings", The Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (2012).
- "Court Ordered Charges, Including Critical Suppliers", Annual Conference of the Insolvency Institute of Canada (2012).
- "Asset Realization", CAIRP Insolvency & Restructuring Forum (2011).
- "Agricultural Insolvency: Challenges and Opportunities Unique to Restructuring Canadian Agricultural Enterprises", Isaac Pitblado Lectures (Law Society of Manitoba, Manitoba Bar Association and University of Manitoba Faculty of Law, 2011).
- "Manufacturer Insolvency: Strategies For Retail Dealers to Manage The Challenges of Manufacturer Insolvency”, Western Canadian Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference (Canadian Institute, Vancouver, 2009).
- "Selected Issues in Agricultural Insolvency", Advanced Insolvency Law & Practice Conference (Canadian Institute, Calgary, 2006).
- "Preserving Value Through BIA Division I Proposals: Issues and Options", Insolvency and Restructuring Forum (Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals, Calgary, 2006).
- "Preserving the Value of a Business in Distress Through Use of the CCAA", Raising Capital & Preserving The Business Seminar (Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Inc., 2006).
- "Agricultural Insolvencies", Commercial Insolvency & Restructuring Forum (Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals, Toronto, 2005).
- "Restructuring Challenges in Agriculture: The Legal Perspective", Turnaround Management Association, Northwest Chapter (Calgary, 2004).
Awards & Distinctions
- Insolvency Institute of Canada – Member
- One of Benchmark Canada's "Canada Litigation Stars" – Insolvency
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Insolvency and Restructuring; Corporate and Commercial Litigation (since 2006)
- Named one of Canada's Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Insolvency and Financial Restructuring; Corporate Commercial Litigation (since 2007)
- One of Benchmark Canada's "Local Litigation Stars"
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – "BV Peer Review Rated"