Technology clients look to Jade Buchanan for straight-forward, practical legal advice on the protection, marketing, commercialization, and sale of intellectual property assets.
Jade understands the emerging technologies that drive technology and science businesses forward and is focused on helping you meet your legal needs. This includes the protection, acquisition and commercialization of software, hardware and other technology and preparing for a sale of technology assets and businesses.
Jade is a contributor to industry and public understanding of technology and the law. Jade has presented on legal issues and technology to the Canada Information Processing Society (CIPS) and the University of Saskatchewan College of Law and regularly produces insights for MLT’s Technology Law Advisor and Intellectual Property Advisor newsletters.
As a lawyer and trademark agent, Jade assists with trademark protection and enforcement and has particular strength dealing with online infringement of intellectual property rights. Jade has assisted with trademark protection for a range sectors, such as:
- social networks, smartphone apps, and video games
- breweries, wineries, and distilleries
- clothing and other consumer goods companies
His experience extends into public sector branding where he regularly addresses the unique legal challenges and advantages faced by public authorities, including health care providers, educators, crown corporations, and First Nations.
Jade actively works for improvements to Canada’s trademark regime through the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, serving Co-Chair of the Trademarks Legislation Committee and as a member of the Trademarks Practice Committee.
In addition to trademarks, Jade has experience in all facets of the law as it relates to marketing, including the development, deployment and protection of the trademarks and copyright-protected works that comprise a brand, domain name protection and disputes, online defamation, compliance with Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL), e-commerce (including website terms and conditions and privacy policies), and compliance with consumer protection laws and advertising regulations.
- Lead and junior counsel in the sale and purchase of shares and assets for technology and IT companies
- Experienced in the preparation, filing and prosecution of hundreds of trademark applications in virtually every sector
- Involved in resolving dozens of trademark disputes, including Trademark Opposition Board and litigation matters
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) – Associate Member
- IPIC Trademarks Legislation Committee – Member
- IPIC Trademarks Practice Committee – Member
- Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can) – Member
- Canada Information Processing Society (CIPS) – Member
- “Social Media in the Workplace”, with Kristél Kriel, Saskatchewan Association of School Business Officials (April, 2015)
- “Legal Ethics in the Marketing of Legal Services”, Canadian Bar Association (Young Lawyers Section, February, 2015)
- “Legal Issues in Cloud Computing”, with Nathan Schissel, Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS) (January, 2015)
- Horace E. Read Award – Awarded to graduating student who has made the greatest overall contribution to scholarship and student life (2011)
- Schulich Scholarship in Law – Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- McCarthy Tétrault Leadership Award – Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- Hon. Richard B. Hanson Prize in Constitutional Law – Awarded for the highest mark in Constitutional Law (2010)