10235 101st Street
Edmonton AB T5J 3G1
Doug Ballou concentrates his practice on acquisitions, divestitures, debt and equity financing and private placements, bringing experience that extends to transactions valued at hundreds of millions of dollars. He is counsel to a broad range of clients in the oil & gas, mining, agribusiness and manufacturing sectors, and has assisted these clients in completing the purchase and sale of various facilities and businesses. A number of these transactions have been between purchasers and vendors with international operations and have related to sizable industrial sites. While he acts for a number of large publicly traded corporations, many of his clients are individual entrepreneurs and small to medium-sized enterprises. Doug has often been named one of the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada by Lexpert/American Lawyer Media.
Doug has acted for issuers and underwriters on a substantial number of initial public offerings, subsequent debt and equity offerings and other capital raising initiatives, including the drafting of prospectuses, offering memoranda, underwriting agreements, subscription agreements, and related documentation. Doug not only has experience with the TSX and TSX Venture Exchange, but also with the Australian Stock Exchange, and the NYSE and NASDAQ through cross-border equity offerings. His advice is sought on various disclosure issues and compliance and registration matters under applicable securities legislation.
Doug routinely advises clients on corporate governance matters.
Doug also assists a number of clients on pension and executive compensation matters, including pension plan governance issues and equity-based compensation arrangements. He has been involved in establishing defined contribution and defined benefit plans for both private and public sector clients. His experience extends to the law related to trust and fiduciary responsibilities in the pension plan context.
- Acted for a Scottish public company on its acquisition of a polymer manufacturing facility in Edmonton from AT Plastic, Inc.
- Lead counsel on a $400 million common share offering by a Canadian-headquartered global agribusiness that ranked second largest in Canada in the second quarter of 2008.
- Counsel to a Canadian-headquartered global agribusiness on its acquisition of a $64 million canola crushing facility and related assets (2009) and the sale of its feed manufacturing, sales and distribution business in Canada and the US (2012).
- Alberta counsel to a diversified technology and manufacturing company on its acquisition of Matrikon Inc., an Edmonton based IT company, for $144 million (2010).
- The Support Network – Director
- Institute of Corporate Directors – Member
Papers & Presentations
- Presentations for Investment Dealers Association of Canada, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, the Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute, and the Canadian Investor Relations Institute.
- Presentations at Canadian Bar Association seminars on securities, corporate law and pension law topics.
Awards & Distinctions
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law (since 2008)
- Named one of Canada's Leading Lawyers in The Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory – Corporate Mid-Market (since 2003)
- Lexis-Nexis / Martindale-Hubbell – "BV Peer Review Rated"