Chambers Global Ranks MLT Number One in Saskatchewan
Posted on Mar 28, 2012
Chambers Global, one of the most highly regarded legal services ranking firms in the world, has ranked MLT the number one General Business Law Firm in Saskatchewan. MLT sits alone in the Chambers top-tier ranking for the province.
A Financial Post article on this ranking speaks to the rising visibility of legal services in Saskatchewan, due largely to the significant growth in mining activity. The Financial Post notes, "Regional knowledge is critical to success even for the mining behemoths – whether they be new entrants to the market or existing companies undergoing major expansion". Observes Managing Partner Don Wilson, "We pride ourselves on having some fairly sophisticated practitioners who have been exposed to deals that are national in scope. … You may be a mega company, but if you haven't done business here before, you discover that everybody has their own rules and protocols."
The article notes that local expertise in the law related to exploration and mining resides with MLT's Danny Anderson, and also speaks to the importance of labour law expertise because of the size of the mining companies' workforces. "To manage this demand, the firm runs a labour and employment group under Kevin Wilson".
One of MLT's leading practitioners, Robert Leurer, also earned a place among Chambers' top 25 Class Actions lawyers in Canada in the 2012 rankings. The head of MLT's Class Actions Group, Bob has argued leading cases before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, and courts in a number of provinces, including Saskatchewan and Alberta.
The Post article closes by noting, "The Chambers rankings may help convince foreign firms that they don't need to go outside the province to find legal counsel. The sophistication is there."
- Thursday Jun 13th 2013 Best Lawyers Recognizes 36 MLT Lawyers in 2013
- Monday Jun 10th 2013 Alberta Employment and Labour Update: Save the Date!
- Wednesday Jun 5th 2013 MLT Rocks for Charity
- Monday Jun 17th 2013 Supreme Court Issues Decision on Unionized Workplace Alcohol Testing
- Wednesday Jun 12th 2013 Case Comment: Behn v. Moulton Contracting Ltd., 2013 SCC 26
- Wednesday Jun 12th 2013 Case Comment: ABCA & Beaver Lake Cree Nation v. HMTQ (AB), Attorney General of Canada