Oil & Natural Gas
MLT has extensive experience advising the oil and gas industry on issues related to exploration, development, production, processing, storage, transportation, distribution and marketing of oil, natural gas and related by-products. Our experience includes work on the acquisition, operation and divestment of exploration and production assets, as well as on several significant projects, including Hibernia, the Lloydminster heavy oil upgrader, and the Co-op refinery and upgrader in Regina.
We advise pipeline companies and shippers on product transportation issues and have experience with the acquisition, divestment, development, construction and financing of several significant pipeline projects, including the Alliance, Express, Keystone, Producers and Trans-Canada systems. We provide advice on the regulation and de-regulation of assets and markets in Western Canada, including rate applications, cost of capital issues, codes of conduct and rate unbundling. We represent both landowners and industry in hearings to resolve surface rights disputes.
Oilfield Service and Supply
We regularly advise businesses that are active in the oilfield service industry, including drilling contractors, well service providers and other suppliers of goods and services. Our assignments in this sector have been broad and diverse, and include advising on corporate and commercial matters, contractual issues and dispute resolution.
Our lawyers assist a range of clients with the development, construction, financing and operation of power generation and transmission assets. In particular, we advise on power purchase contracts, project procurement, the purchase and sale of “ancillary” services, the development and implementation of operating rules and codes of conduct, and the acquisition and divestment of power generation assets. We have also acted on numerous regulatory applications and have provided advice on compliance, rate applications and reviews, cost of capital issues, rate unbundling and dispute resolution.
Alternate and Renewable Energy
MLT is active in advising clients on the development and commercialization of alternate and renewable energy resources in western Canada. Our mandates include the acquisition, development and divestment of wind farm projects; the development, financing and operation of existing and proposed biodiesel facilities; and the acquisition, aggregation and marketing of carbon emissions offsets and credits. Our lawyers have participated on industry committees addressing issues related to carbon capture and storage and carbon emissions credits trading.
- Advisors to the leading-edge $1.24 billion Boundary Dam Integrated Carbon Capture and Storage Demonstration Project converting one of the power units into a long-term producer of 100 megawatts of clean base-load electricity and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by capturing one million tonnes of carbon dioxide each year for sale to third parties for use in enhanced oil recovery operations.
- Counsel to Federated Co-operatives Ltd. on a $138 million acquisition by plan of arrangement, including production facilities and infrastructure, of Triwest Exploration Inc., a Calgary-based oil company.
- Counsel to SaskPower on an off-take agreement with Cenovus Energy for the full volume of approximately one million tonnes per year of carbon dioxide from the carbon capture and storage facility under construction at Boundary Dam Power Station in Saskatchewan. The carbon dioxide is to be used for enhanced oil recovery at a Cenovus-operated project near Weyburn, Saskatchewan.
- David McKinnon v. Red Lily Energy Partnership et al., 2011 SKQB 313, successfully opposing a motion in an uncertified class action for an injunction to restrain the construction of an electricity-generating wind farm.
- Counsel to SaskPower Corporation on a number of power purchase agreements with private sector developers of various cogeneration and stand alone power generation facilities in Saskatchewan.
Legal counsel to SaskEnergy on the sale of its interest in Heritage Gas Limited to AltaGas Income Trust (2009).
- Counsel to a significant explorer and developer of coal bed methane gas in regulatory and litigation proceedings to determine ownership of Coalbed Methane Gas between the owner of the petroleum and natural gas rights and the owner of the coal estate.
- Monday May 6th 2013 MLT Helping Business Meet the Challenges of the Calgary Market
- Friday Feb 22nd 2013 MLT Assists in the Creation of a New Service Rig Company by Whitefish Lake First Nation