Banking & Commercial Finance
We have extensive experience in all phases of secured and unsecured commercial financings, large syndicated financing arrangements, project financings, asset-based lending, leasing and subordinated debt arrangements in industries ranging from natural resources, forestry and agribusiness to manufacturing and technology.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- project and business debt financing, including construction facilities, revolving credit and operating facilities and multi-currency loans;
- equipment leasing, asset-backed lending and cross-collateralization transactions;
- acquisition and asset-based financing; non- and limited-recourse project financings;
- mezzanine loans; subordinated loans; convertible debt financings;
- structuring and negotiating complex subordination and priority arrangements;
- revolving and operating credit facilities to energy sector borrowers, including mid-stream energy companies, oilfield service companies and publicly-traded entities (including oil & gas exploration income trusts).
We have worked with a diverse group of commercial lenders, private financiers, trust companies, credit unions and life insurance companies, lending to borrowers in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, technology, agribusiness, natural resources and forestry. On numerous occasions we have acted for administrative agents and large lending syndicates.
- Acting for the lender to a publicly traded mining company on a $30 million credit facility secured principally by the borrower's mineral holdings.
- Lead counsel for the lender in the refinancing, restructuring and subsequent expansion of one of Western Canada's largest food processors, a series of transactions involving US interests in addition to local shareholders.
- Counsel to Concentra Financial Services Association on its commercial leasing and asset-based lending business.
- Counsel to an agricultural and construction equipment dealer on commercial leasing matters.